Thursday, December 7, 2017

Competition

Saturday, December 9th - The day our hard work will be tested.

This weekend brings our annual dance competition that we hold right at our high school. Its the first competition of the season, the first time we get to see who we are against, the first time the judges will see what we are bringing to this dance season.

Of course, I am nervous, just like any other normal athlete would be participating in any type of competition, but this year is different. It's my senior year. The last year to make it to state, to place in the top rankings, and to just prove to myself that I can do it and "leave it on the dance floor."

Usually around this time, my stress levels rise drastically above where they should be, due to the amount of worries of what could possibly go wrong during any of our dances. Will everyone stay sharp the entire time? What if someone drops a pom? Will everyone keep their facials throughout the routine?

These worries, among others, won't ever go away, no matter how good or bad our team becomes. But this year, the bond I share with the other seven girls on my team is stronger than ever before, which plays a huge role in our dances. Good relationships means trust, which brings unity, or better known as "togetherness," which is what makes dances win. This bond makes me feel 1000000 times more confident going into this weekend. I know that the girls have my back, just like I have theirs.

In my last post, I explained what it took to make up one of our competition dances. On Saturday, that pom routine, along with a jazz dance and my solo, will be put on the floor, and I have never been so excited. If you don't know the difference between all the different styles of dance, and if you have the time/interest to understand them more, click here for an in depth explanation.

Team dinner at Steak-N-Shake before a long 8-hour practice the next day!
We have been practicing nonstop, in the mornings, after school everyday, and even on weekends. This competition gives us a chance to prove to ourselves that all of our sore muscles, early mornings, sweat, and hard work was worth it. Its a lot of pressure, but in my opinion, that's the best part.

Three years ago, I never would have thought that I would be competing with a solo. Being judged individually, let alone dancing by yourself in front a large group of people, takes a lot of confidence within yourself and your dancing, something I did not have when I started high school. But over the years, I have grown up and matured, and in a few days, I will be performing a "sassy jazz" solo in front of a gym full of people who are (for the most part) very knowledgable in the difference between a good and a bad dancer.

I don't know what the results will be. If we don't do well, I'll be upset, just like anyone would. But no matter what, I'll know that all of us gave it our all, and that is the only thing we can do. I am proud of my team and how far we've come, and I am excited for this long competition season we have ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment